Off Topic (Archived)

Off Topic (Archived)
A description has not yet been added to this group.

Corel AfterShot Pro launches at CES.

• Article:

Announced this week during CES in Las Vegas is AfterShot Pro, which is Corel's new photo software and it's available natively for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux platforms. 

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA0MTE

Product page: 

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4670071

Looks like GIMP is going to have some competition on Linux after all.  I might actually buy this.

EDIT:Ugh, no PNG and BMP support? Serious? Bleh.

Corel Chatlog:

[Henry] Hello, my name is Henry. Welcome to Corel Customer Service.  

[Me] Does Aftershot Pro support saving in PNG or BMP? 

[Henry] the answer to your question is Yes

So... I guess it does..  But they don't list it in the product specs..  I'll definitely have to give this a try.

[edited by: Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas]
  • They make attractive looking GIU. Egyptian  Do you know what the different is between the AfterShot Pro and PaintshopPro? I am having difficulty learning PaintshopPro, I suck at leastning new softwares! Knockout

[edited by: products]
  • AfterShot Pro is only for managing and postprocessing photos..  It also doesn't have any kind of red eye removal.  The explaination that I got there was that "professional photographers don't need it".  Which I learned earlier today that professional photographers put their flash farther away from the lens so they never get red-eye in any of their photos..  Though I still think that's just an excuse..   It's a "pro" product but doesn't have basic consumer level features, which seems a bit wonky to me... Almost seems like they're labeling the product as a "pro" product just so they can get around having to put in basic photography features.. 

$99 for photography software that doesn't even have core features like red-eye removal that you can get for free in GIMP is a tough sell, I think..  

It appears that where this software is *really* good at is dealing with cameras that create RAW images.. They have a "Ninja" grain filter that is supposedly very good and the major feature of the product (GIMP and other free software supposedly aren't as good with grain), but it's really only useful for people with DSLRs that take RAW images. They also have a tool that corrects for lens distortions from various different lens (again, for DSLRs with detachable lens)...

I'm still learning about the product and I'm downloading it on my linux laptop now, but it's looking more and more like this product is meant for DSLRs only..  Too bad because I want to support it, but I think for me with my 15 megapixel point and shoot that saves in JPEG and doesn't have a detachable lens, this software would probably just be a waste of money..

[edited by: Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas]
  •  I might actually buy this.

EDIT:Ugh, no PNG and BMP support? Serious? Bleh.

• Sidicas:

...... but it's looking more and more like this product is meant for DSLRs only..  .

that's it , it's the perfect complement to PaintPro or Photoshop for DSLR owner, especially the Full Frame ( 35 mm equivalent)  I like to use it. and it's only $ 60