Product Support

Product Support
A description has not yet been added to this group.

Samsung LCD TV... Need a good Digital Antenna?

• I have a 46" Samsung LCD HDTV (Model #LN46C670).  We just purchased an RCA Multi-Directional Amplified Digital Flat Antenna to try and pick up our local channels over the air. I followed the installation instructions to the letter and made sure the settings on the TV were correct but we were still unable to pick up any channels. Anyone else had any luck with digital antennas? What are some of the brands/models you have successfully used with this TV or one like it?  Thanks in advance for your help!
  • The first step is to go to this site:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

It will tell you what channels you can get in your area, what antenna type you will need to get them, and their direction.

You may be in a tough area and/or need a different type of antenna. 

• Yup, nobody can tell you what antenna's good for you.  You may well need an outdoor (and strong) antenna if you live far away from TV towers because the signal strength must be weak.  And multi-directional if closest TV towers are in multiple directions from your house.  

After picking out the antenna, plug it into an electric outlet and scan on your television for "ATSC / digital antenna" signals.

[edited by: products]
  • All Antennas are analog Big Smile

You can receive a digital TV station through an analog antenna..

There are some Analog antennas that have really old mast amplifiers that amplify the wrong frequencies.. Then there are Analog antennas that have amplifiers that amplify the digital frequencies (sometimes incorrectly called "digital antenna" but the antennas themselves are not really digital as 75Ohm coax is analog).

You can't get any TV signals at all? That's strange..  Do you have any motors, or high powered electrical equipment near your antenna? Do you live in the center of a large apartment complex? Surrounded by trees on all sides of you?     

Does your "digital Antenna" have an amplifier on it that plugs into the wall and is turned on? This is the kind of thing that really makes the difference.. If not, you can just buy an amplifier for it.  Do you have it hooked up to the TV via 75Ohm Coax cable and NOT 300Ohm Coax cable? And if so, did you tighten it down so it's secured on there good? Did you check to make sure you didn't accidentally bend the center pin out of position on the 75Ohm Coax cable at either the Antenna or TV side?

[edited by: Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas]
  • It is indeed strange if the OP got absolutely NOTHING. I expect to get at least some unwatchable pictures on TV or some audio that is difficult to make sense of.

But then I'm the one who lives 2 miles from the Empire State Building.  Can you not get any pics at all if you live like 50+ or 100+ miles from towers and your antenna's small?? 

Oh lonzom10, make sure to scan during the normal awake hours for us humans, don't try it at like 3 am.  It's probably best to do it between like 6 am and 9pm. Some stations turn off broadcast after certain times of the day, not always the same time everyday. 

[edited by: products, products, products, products]
  • With over the air HD you usually either get it or dont. Its not like old analog TV where it would come in part way.

• Haa. really...?... I get a lot of unwatchable pictures on my TV via my OTA antenna... But that may be because of multipath.  There's no way I'm too far from the closest TV tower.  I went cable.

[edited by: products, products]
  • products:
    Haa. really...?... I get a lot of unwatchable pictures on my TV via my OTA antenna... But that may be because of multipath.  There's no way I'm too far from the closest TV tower.  I went cable.

They may have been NTSC (analog) signals and not ATSC (digital) signals.

• Hm......possible..... but NTSC went down in 2006, no? To save money......... could they still have it in the air 5 years later? Analog stuck around a lil longer in some cable systems though... On wait, I think it was 2007 or 2008 that I tried my first antenna... so not 5 years yet...

I'm also surrounded by skyscrapers...... in addition to planes and helis passing every other min in the sky...  so it makes sens that signals get bounced off those structures and arrive at my antenna at different times.....  Some of the unwatchable pictures that I noticed (not that I keep watching those pictures! lol) were HD channels. They freeze, pixelate, go almost blank for like 3 seconds at times sooo very badly. :s

I got a new Terk antenna, and it made it a lot better, but still nowhere near as reliable as cable, not to mention it doesn't pick up ABC which is the only major station on UHF here, I think...  Sometimes at night, when I start seeing the pic go "really bad", I can predict that I will start hearing a heli in the sky LOL

[edited by: products, products, products, products, products, products, products, products]
  • Thanks for the input guys... I tried the website and according to it there are 12 total stations available at my address.  The Antenna we tried was an RCA amplified digital antenna.  Here is a link to it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Amplified-Digital-Flat-Indoor-Antenna/11080817  To answer your other questions... No, there are no large buildings in my area. Yes, it was plugged up to the power outlet, yes the coax was tightened at every connection and no the ends of the coax were not bent down. I checked the TV and antenna again and there are absolutely no stations present at all... not even a bad picture.  When I run the scan it looks for both DTV Air and Air and it is unable to find stations for either.  Other suggestions?

[edited by: lonzom10]
  • Then I have to suspect either the antenna or tuner in the TV is bad....:s I would try replacing the antenna first though I have not see many people talk about defective antennas. Actually, you could first test the current antenna with other AV devices that came with digital tuners. Some DVD players / disk recorders, and blu-ray players have built-in digital tuners so you can try scanning on one of those devices, IF yours came with a digital tuner.....

[edited by: products, products, products, products, products, products, products, products]
  • Knock on your neighbor's door and find out if he gets any channels.. If so, then steal his TV.. 'Er.. I mean find out what he's running for an antenna and try that at your place?

• Sidicas:

Knock on your neighbor's door and find out if he gets any channels.. If so, then steal his TV.. 'Er.. I mean find out what he's running for an antenna and try that at your place?

ROFL Yes will do.

[edited by: products, products]
  • I tried the RCA Antenna on another LCD we have in the bedroom (opposite end of the house) and it didn't work for it either.  We took the RCA back today and purchased a Phillips.  Brought it home and same luck... no signal!  I've looked at a couple of different sites and from what I can gather a small outdoor antenna may be needed.  Not cool but I guess that's life. 
  • What, do you have missile proof walls or something? Stick out tongue

J/k!!!  Yes, many people need outdoor antennas. AntennaWeb didn't say that?  I guess not.