Product Support

Product Support
A description has not yet been added to this group.

Help on bottom mounted PSU?!

• Hello all... my case has a bottom mounted PSU.I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put the power supply in right side up or upside down. The screw holes match up to which I'd have my PSU facing right-side up, which is how it should be if it was mounted on the top, but in this case, the fan is facing the BOTTOM of the case... which doesn't seem right.Plus, the only reason I bought this particular PSU was for the red LED fan, which I won't get to see if the fan is facing the bottom of the case. On the other hand, there is also a vent on the bottom of the case, but I don't see where the heat would go sinde it's not like the case is leveled so there's room under the case. I'd like to have the PSU facing upside down... normally on a top mounted PSU, the fan would be blowing in the case, but now it's blowing out of the case??

Here is my case and power supply

Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W

• well here is the thing, your case looks like where the psu sits, it has a vent on the bottom, so you can have the psu fan facing down. Anyways my 590 case is same way with bottom mount psu, and vent on bottom where psu is. But i have my psu mounted with the psu fan facing up. so if the screws match up on the back so you can tighten it down, then keep the psu fan facing up toward your video card and motherboard.
  • The fan on your psu draws air into it and then forces it out the grill on the back of the unit.

Fan down, the proper way to install it, will allow it to draw fresh air in from below the case.

Fan up, the mounting holes won't line up.

• contrvlr:

The fan on your psu draws air into it and then forces it out the grill on the back of the unit.

Fan down, the proper way to install it, will allow it to draw fresh air in from below the case.

Not true in my case. Because my 590 case has bottom mount for psu, and vent on bottom of case for the fan to suck air from outside the case. but i have my psu with fan facing up, and all screw holes lined up good still. I don't like the vent on bottom of cases, unless there gunna put bigger computer case feet on bottom of case, so it up off the ground and can get the right amount of air.

• If the case has mounting hes that allow it to mount in either direction then it is u to you as long as there are vents in the case bottom to allow outside air to be drawn in.  Othersie, unless there is a decent amount of clearance down there, I would mount the fan facing up. 

If you do mount it down, next to vents be sure not to obstruct the area where the air gets sucked in, and be aware the filthiest part of your room is right next to the floor.  Dustbunny heaven. 

• lilstone87:
    contrvlr:

The fan on your psu draws air into it and then forces it out the grill on the back of the unit.

Not true in my case. Because my 590 case has bottom mount for psu, and vent on bottom of case for the fan to suck air from outside the case. but i have my psu with fan facing up, and all screw holes lined up good still. I don't like the vent on bottom of cases, unless there gunna put bigger computer case feet on bottom of case, so it up off the ground and can get the right amount of air.

OK, not true in your case, the OP doesn't have your case, the psu mounting holes on his case are aligned for fan down installation.

The psu fan will still get the air it needs wether it's 1 cm off the surface or 5, personally I keep mine on my desktop instead of the floor.

Why hide a case that's meant for viewing ?

• contrvlr:

Why hide a case that's meant for viewing ?

Answer is: Personal preference.