Product Support

Product Support
A description has not yet been added to this group.

Netgear WNR2000 Router is JUNK

• BlackTriad:
    zx10guy:

BlackTriad:
    Yes, I am. Comcast has a burst speed that kicks in on a dowload start. I am getting up to 3.08gb at the beginning of downloads. It quickly settles down however to between 1gb and 2gb per second for the rest of it. For extremely long downloads it can settle as low as 512kb per second or so but I rarely ever see slower than that.

I want to see proof.  If you were getting Gig speeds even with initial burst rates, which are erroneous numbers anyways, then Comcast would be all over the airwaves advertising this.  The physics behind how bandwidth can be pushed through coax doesn't support any claims for Gig throughput....not even for a second or two.  The only WAN link capable of giving the speeds you're claiming is an OC48 which I KNOW you don't have.

Anyone else with Comcast going to chime in? I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver in around one minute (with the netgear router out of the picture) which I believe the file is 100mb. I don't know a whole lot about download speeds and the hardware involved but I DO know how quick I am dowloading files. The download file window began showing around 3.xxgb/sec and ended showing 1.xxgb/sec. I'd say that was accurate considering the download time.

I don't need to prove anyting because I don't care to argue with someone that is mistaken. Does everyone around here argue for the sake of arguing or is it just some rotten eggs?

Because, your expectations of what you should reasonably expect from residential broadband is so far out of whack.  I speak up in cases like this when someone is blatantly wrong.  And I'm stating it clearly.  You're wrong in thinking your connection is capable of Gig anything.  So let's do some math.  I looked up the latest driver on Nvidia's website.  It's 77 MB.  That's 77 megabytes.  Doing the conversion over to Mb (or megabits) yields 616 megabits.  Dividing 616 by 60 seconds for the approximate 1 minute it took to download your file, means you had a transfer rate of 10.3 Mb/s...that's 10 megabit per second.  As another data point, I am currently trying to optimize my file server.  It is running over an actual GigE network in my home LAN.  I moved a 2.4GB (that's gigabyte) file in a minute and 40 some odd seconds...don't remember the actual time.  But I do remember the actual transfer rate I calculated.  It turns out my system was performing with file transfers at 25.6 MB/s...that's 25.6 megabytes per second or 204.8 Mb/s.  I moved a file a heck of a lot larger than what you did in only double the time you downloaded your file and got speeds less than the full GigE capability.  So you tell me who's wrong here. 

[edited by: zx10guy]
  • My apologies as it is I that is mistaken, not you. I did type gigabytes when I meant megabytes . The best I've seen is over 3 megabytes and the slowest around 512 kilobytes. My dowload example above shows that. Thank you for correcting me btw.
  • I got the D-Link DIR-825 from Best Buy this afternoon and returned the dead Netgear. Their price was slightly higher than Egg's but with shipping it'd be about the same. I have it hooked up now and I am getting the download speeds I should which is up to over 3 megs from all connected computers.

I played around with my DS and walked around my yard and I can connect solidly throughout (I have about half an acre) which is nice. It connects on the 2.4GHz band and didn't see the 5GHz one at stock settings but I doubt it would need the higher speed.

My buds that have gaming laptops have 5GHz sticks already which is another reason I wanted a different router than the Netgear. I should have consulted them in the first place when I went to get a router.

• That's a good set of features...the pool of Simultaneous Dual-band Routers is even smaller ! 

if it is an N adapter, it should have higher speed regardless of which band it is using, although the presence of legacy adapters will affect the networks performance greatly.

Tallon41

• Megabits per second is an internet speed rating.

Gigabits per second is a LAN speed rating.

Cooper ethernet cableing currently tops out at 1Gbps with RJ-45 Category 6 (or 5 Enhanced) cabling for commonly available ethernet based components.

There *IS* a spec for Category 6 Enhanced for up to 10 Gbps, but NO standardized adapters or infrastructure (switches, hubs, routers) are commonly (cheaply) available.

Internet connection speeds (even for the legendary "Fiber" internet packages, which are still ethernet to your house, and Fiber-Optic from a common switch to the ISP) are still measured in Megabits per second.

Examples:

DSL: 1-5 Mbps down, up to 1Mbps up, dedicated speed per line.

Cable Internet: 5-30 Mbps down, up to 3Mbps up, shared with your neighbors, as if you were on a hub.

T1: 1.5 Mbps, dedicated bi-directional.

T3: 45 Mbps, dedicated bi-directional.

OC class lines: dedicated Fiber Optic internet, Mb or Gb rating determines speed, bi-directional.