Product Support

Product Support
A description has not yet been added to this group.

How important is CAS latency for gaming?

• If my choices are a set of ram with a CAS latency of 6 and a set with a CAS latency of 9, does that make a huge difference?  I assume it would, but I read in certain places that it really is only noticable in benchmarks and the like.  Also, I'll just post the two set I'm considering and maybe you guys can just tell me the best choice in general.

Corsair:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145222

G.Skill

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231352

[edited by: Warinsidemyhead7]
  • If you're pushing really high framerates (60+ FPS), then yes it makes a measurable difference.. Otherwise, not really.. At lower framerates, the latency of the RAM is a moot point since the system will likely have bottlenecks elsewhere anyway.

Keep in mind that CAS latency is in respect to the clock rate of the memory..  So a CAS 6 at 1333 will become approximately CAS 8 at 1600 or so.  They're actually the same latency, it's just that the memory clock that measures the latency is ticking faster.  So only compare CAS at the same clockrate or it's apples & oranges.

Most CPUs on the market today really cannot handle Dual-channel memory faster than DDR3-1333.. So instead of getting higher bandwidth memory, you can get lower latency memory and that is more helpful.. Especially true for AMD CPUs where they're just not fast enough to keep up with the bandwidth of high clock rate memory.

[edited by: Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas, Sidicas]
  • Well I'm going to be using it for a gaming rig, with an i7 950 3.06GHz and an nvidia gtx 580, so i'm hopin' to do some awesome frame rates.  Also these choices are triple channel, not dual channel.
  • Also i just realized that I just had the corsair posted twice, so i fixed it.  The G.Skill is now actually G.Skill, haha.
  • At DDR3-1600, you probably should be going CAS 7 or CAS 8..  When you get to to CAS 6, you're paying a very high premium for lower latency for very little benefit..

So somewhere between 6 and 9 would be great for a gaming PC on a sensible budget..  CAS 6 @ 1600 is practically insanity. .First I've ever seen that before so I'm not surprised it's as expensive as it is.

• Alright, that's good to know.  While I'm searching, do you have any recommendations as to what brands I should be keeping an eye for?
  • Warinsidemyhead7:
    Alright, that's good to know.  While I'm searching, do you have any recommendations as to what brands I should be keeping an eye for?

For RAM? G.Skill, Mushkin, Patriot, & Corsair would be your selection of the best gaming RAM.. So you're in the right ball park already.

[edited by: Sidicas]