Discussion {{'2011-07-07T15:41:15-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}

Vertical lines on monitor

Hi there and here's my story!  I picked up this monitor that was thrown out because I'm classy like that.Everything about it is pretty awesome except for one problem, it has about a 3 inch wide row of multi colored vertical lines running down the right side of the screen. The monitor in question is a 233......

Please log on to comment on this discussion.

6 Comments
Sort by:
Written on {{'2011-07-07T21:15:47-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Looks like it was dropped to me, probably broke the internals of the screen.

Written on {{'2011-07-07T18:42:19-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Ah, I think I may have found the problem. At the top of back of the monitor is a metal panel that I unscrewed to reveal a circuit board, which is connected under the metal framing of the flat screen. There's about 5 or 6 connecting green ribbons in all and just one of them has 3 weird scratches on it. So I put some tape on the front of the screen where exactly that ribbon is and put the monitor back together and! The piece of tape just happens to be dead middle of the width of those vertical lines. 

This picture sucks but it's sadly the best I can do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24600782@N02/5914236286/in/photostream

I'm guessing my next move is to take it into a repair shop and see if it can be replaced without having to replace the entire lcd screen.  

Written on {{'2011-07-07T17:47:20-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
I have it opened up and I'm talking a look at the board that the power supply connects too, since that seems the only board with any capacitors, and they all look pristine. Which sucks, since that would be a cheap fix. I'll keep looking for anything odd tho I have no idea what an inverter is. 
Written on {{'2011-07-07T17:14:13-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Open the monitor up. Look for any bulging or leaking capacitors. Also, look for any loose connections on the control boards/inverters etc.

Most monitors break because the manufacturers use cheap caps or have bad thermal design that causes the caps to die prematurely. You might be able to fix the monitor up with a couple new ones and a soldering iron.

Written on {{'2011-07-07T16:50:08-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Har har :P 

That's what I figure too, hopefully if it'll cost around 30-80$ to repair it even though I don't even have that money, but I can at least box it up for when I do. Google so far has let me down :< I'm still keeping the hope that some helpful soul out there knows how to fix my problem.  

Written on {{'2011-07-07T15:53:37-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

i would just RMA it with the dumpster/trash hauling company,,,[rofl]

on a more serious note,, it was free so trying to fix it without spending much $$ might get you a working monitor,,, Google around and see what you come up with[8-|]

From Topics:
Archive

Post Stats

• 0 Followers
  • 6 Comments
  • Last Edited on {{'2011-07-07T21:15:47-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Feedback