Discussion {{'2011-12-14T11:05:06-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}

Facebook

[URL=http://finance.yahoo.com/news/shunning-facebook-living-tell-000204976.html]Shunning Facebook, and Living to Tell About It[/URL]My newspaper recently ended their online forum and now requires all comments on stories to be on facebook.  They cited the excuse that facebook requires real names and Email addr......

Please log on to comment on this discussion.

9 Comments
Sort by:
Written on {{'2011-12-15T09:27:48-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="gandalf91"]Whenever I post things I do not want family members viewing, I simply change the viewing options for that post to exclude the family list. [;)][/quote]

[:O] that's true! the problem is that those who leave comments using abusive languages are smarter and better skilled with Facebook than people that are making decisions at the news paper company. [:p]

[quote user="fabulouscoops"][quote user="products"]

Put it this way. I'm sure there are many people in your age group who still struggle to use the internet. You are ahead of them, muwaaahaaahaaaa.

[/quote]

I know.  My dad (86) refuses to even have a computer in his home.

I build my own computers, network them, overclock, play games, am in a gaming clan...

But I refuse to play the social games and I hate talking on the phone.  Even a land line.

[/quote]

You just don't like Facebooking and phones then. What's wrong with that?

I so don't blame your dad for not liking computers. I bet today's 40 year olds that didn't go to college might now know how to use computers because there was no computers when they were in high school. 

But you got one thing from your dad, Fab! [;)]  Strong and passionate resistance to things you don't like.  That's what's common between  you guys, though you guys are resisting different things. 

Written on {{'2011-12-15T05:31:20-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[quote user="products"]

Put it this way. I'm sure there are many people in your age group who still struggle to use the internet. You are ahead of them, muwaaahaaahaaaa.

[/quote]

I know.  My dad (86) refuses to even have a computer in his home.

I build my own computers, network them, overclock, play games, am in a gaming clan...

But I refuse to play the social games and I hate talking on the phone.  Even a land line.

Written on {{'2011-12-15T00:37:28-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
Whenever I post things I do not want family members viewing, I simply change the viewing options for that post to exclude the family list. [;)]
Written on {{'2011-12-14T21:17:47-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="gandalf91"][rofl] at them thinking it might cut down on explicit/abusive language.[/quote]

I know. I did not quite get the reasoning behind this, but I guess kids parents are linked or something on their facebooks and say something? IDK... o_O

Written on {{'2011-12-14T21:15:22-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[quote user="fabulouscoops"]

How long before I am considered a second class citizen for not having a facebook account nor a cell phone plan.  Or is it too late?  Should I just move to Idaho and join a militia?

[/quote]

Written on {{'2011-12-14T20:23:46-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[rofl] at them thinking it might cut down on explicit/abusive language.
Written on {{'2011-12-14T14:21:04-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Here is the article from my local paper.  It reads like an advert for facebook.  I think this guy might be getting a kickback.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011312110011

Facebook requires a legitimate email address and has other security features that ensure a person’s real identity is being used. It is constantly shutting down thousands of fraudulent users each day.

Written on {{'2011-12-14T13:16:24-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="fabulouscoops"]My newspaper recently ended their online forum and now requires all comments on stories to be on facebook.  They cited the excuse that facebook requires real names and Email addresses and it would cut down on the abusive language that was in the forum. [/quote]Lol. Facebook doesn't require any such thing.

I liked the idea of Facebook, but I don't like the culture.

Written on {{'2011-12-14T11:50:00-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
I think Facebook will fade out about as fast as it faded in at some point.  IMO, there are going to be a lot of people that regret the day they splayed their lives out for all to see.  Why parents would put their kids' and family's lives out there for all to see is lost on me.
From Topics:
Archive

Post Stats

• 0 Followers
  • 9 Comments
  • Last Edited on {{'2011-12-15T09:27:48-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Feedback