Discussion {{'2013-06-23T20:24:01-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}

compatible AM3 sckt Processor for AM2 sckt Mobo?

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 DesktopProcessor:  AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+Motherboard is a Dell Asus Model. Motherboard Model No. M2N61-AX  AM2 Processor SocketCurrent BIOS version: 1.0.7 Onboard Video Chipset: Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE nforce 430Aftermarket Video card: Geforce 210 I have......

Please log on to comment on this discussion.

12 Comments
Sort by:
Written on {{'2018-01-07T23:28:39-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
AMD has just launched its fastest processor yet after extra than a 1/2-decade of research and development. That’s not a perfect analogy lots of factors have an effect on universal performance except CPU pace, but it’s an amazing place to begin. Jyn Erso Rogue One Vest Jacket
Written on {{'2018-01-02T02:22:32-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
Since the very best function concerning these applications is that you not AC Market APK Likewise it has to have concerning 80MB vacuum on disk.
Written on {{'2013-06-27T12:24:14-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Just got my 1G RAM stick and my thermal paste remover and syringe. Installed the RAM and my PC recognizes all 4 GB of RAM and after reapplying new thermal compound, my PC is blazing through everything now. I guess the new processor and Heatsink Fan wont be necessary after all. :)

Thanks for all the help. 

Written on {{'2013-06-25T08:36:44-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
By the way there's a 6450 on sale for $15 after rebate, I may pick this up myself for a HTPC since it's low profile.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-127-584&Tpk=N82E16814127584
Written on {{'2013-06-25T08:20:16-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[quote user="FascistNation"]

[quote user="GrizzlyAM2"]Not to mention i was interested in a video card with a mounted fan. And i was reading feedback and according to other buyers it seems unsatisfactory for my needs, according to everyone, good for videos not necessarily games. ....[/quote]

.... "everyone" always seems to have better advice.

[/quote]

Indeed, it's relative when it comes to gaming performance. Without balancing it against your budget and what you want to accomplish it's impossible to say whether what you want to do exactly can be achieved with the given budget or if it makes more sense to save your money. No doubt you're aware that you can spend a LOT more on a video card and obviously that would give you better performance, but it really depends on what you want to spend for the time being and when a new system might be possible in the future, and whether it makes sense to save your money for that in the future.

But again, just thinking in terms of whether your investment can be put into a new system, the video card can, but the processor likely cannot considering you'd need a board that supports AM2 processors, but as far as I know there are not many that are downward compatible like that which is still available for sale. It's not going to work in a board that is strictly AM3 or AM3+.

In terms of getting the most out of your money timing is everything, it all depreciates in time and there's always a better deal on the same hardware if you wait - especially if you're waiting until the holiday season with Black Friday and such.

Written on {{'2013-06-25T07:53:26-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="GrizzlyAM2"]Concerning the HD6450 is it DDR2 compatible or is it only DDR3 as my motherboard is a DDR2 model? i had to take that into account when looking for a video card.[/quote]

irrelevant!  Apples to oranges. 

[quote user="GrizzlyAM2"]Not to mention i was interested in a video card with a mounted fan. And i was reading feedback and according to other buyers it seems unsatisfactory for my needs, according to everyone, good for videos not necessarily games. ....[/quote]

.... "everyone" always seems to have better advice.

Written on {{'2013-06-25T07:22:35-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
If you upgrade to a higher wattage CPU then yes, you might benefit from an after market heatsink fan but otherwise no need. I would also not spend that much on it, if you look at similar 90mm models on sale you're likely to find it at $10-15 after rebate and these are models that likely have better reviews but in any case will perform similarly.
Written on {{'2013-06-24T12:32:09-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Concerning the HD6450 is it DDR2 compatible or is it only DDR3 as my motherboard is a DDR2 model? i had to take that into account when looking for a video card.Not to mention i was interested in a video card with a mounted fan. And i was reading feedback and according to other buyers it seems unsatisfactory for my needs, according to everyone, good for videos not necessarily games.

And yes the thermal compound is drying out i have had the PC since 2007 and have never taken the time to reapply thermal compound until now.Although i wasn't really interested in overclocking or anything like that, i'm just trying to improve the overall performance of the system.

And yes all the memory is 1GB DDR2, 1.8V, all from Crucial.

I do agree that for the age of my computer any such expenditures as an SDD or HDD would be a waste, but i do agree with a clean install of my OS with drivers and updates, although i would need to make a backup of all my important files, might as well just do the BIOS update.

I do thank you for all the extensive information and links, it was all very helpful, i appreciate it very much. 

Written on {{'2013-06-24T11:42:16-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="GrizzlyAM2"]I have upgraded the RAM, currently I have 3 GB, but i just ordered another gigabyte of RAM to max it out, and the GeForce 210 Card was installed just this month....getting a new processor fan & heatsink..... trying to maximize the potential of my current motherboard and its components.[/quote]

1.  While nothing wrong with upgrading DDR2 from 3 to 4Gb.  If you are using a 32-bit OS, be prepared for it to see only about 3Gb of it.  Hopefully all of it is matching timings and voltage.  Hopefully it is all 1Gb DDR2 800MHz, 1.8V, same CAS.

2.  Wish you had asked.  An HD6450 for the same price is better performing and optimized on video playback. 

3.  A new HSF is unlikely to do anything for you unless the thermal compound was drying out.  You cannot OC that PC anyway.  Waste of money IMHO.

Only other performance enhancers would be a clean install of the OS with fresh drivers and updates (free), a new HDD or better yet a SSD which would be an ridiculous expenditure on your system and an HD7750 with GDDR5, or a new PSU and a gaming video card---again an ridiculous expenditure on your system.

Written on {{'2013-06-24T09:35:48-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Last BIOS update for your motherboard was 1.0.13, dated 2/19/2009.  You should install it BEFORE attempting to install any new CPU.  Might want to upgrade your nVidia chipset 6150LE and MCP61 too.

Clearly any CPU introduced after this date is not supported.  Below is what Dell lists as supported, but even then not all may have their microcode inserted.  Additionally, online claims of getting a particular CPU to work are good but not totally reliable.  I would probably stay away from 125W or greater CPUs.  Remember it is not in the interest of Dell to add microcode. They sell PCs, not CPU upgrades.  They only do it at the end when they pump out remaining inventory at their outlet store---which good news, they pumped a good number of 531's out.  Find out what the last CPU they put in it and you likely have the best CPU it will support.  Sticking with the same stepping on other CPUs if you step out of known supported CPUs also improves your odds.

You can try an old AM3 (that has DDR2 support), but it should be an Athlon X2 and no more than a 2 x 1Mb L2.  [edit: I see that there is no such critter,.  All Athlon AM2+ and AM3 are 2 x 512k.  The only AM3 was introduced in Aug. 2010.]  I am not optimistic.  Might be better sticking with something likelier to work that can be cheaply found on Google Shopper, eBay, Craigslist, Amazon.

Processor type AMD™ Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor
AMD Athlon 64 processor
AMD Sempron™ processor
Level 2 (L2) cache Up to 2 MB for Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor
Up to 512 KB for Athlon 64 processor
Up to 256 KB for Sempron processors
Socket: AM2
Memory type: 667-MHz, 800-MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Memory connectors: 4
Memory capacities: 512MB or 1GB
Maximum memory: 4GB
Chipset: Nvidia MCP 61

MB Model: M2N61-AX
E187242
Dell Part Number: RY206

AUDIO: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio.
VIDEO: Integrated Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE graphic GPU
PERIPHERAL INTERFACES: 6 - 2.0 USB (front and back), 4 - Serial ATA (SATA) Interface Port, 1- Integrated 10 / 100 Network Port. EXPANSION CAPABILITY: 1 PCI-E X16 Graphics slot, 1 PCI-E x 1, 2 PCI 32Bit / 33MHz slots

Dell Inspiron 531 TS

[edit 2: The Dell Inspiron 531 is Dell's AMD desktop counterpart to the Inspiron 530, and with exception of the CPU and motherboard, is virtually identical. Starting with the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ it can be customized up to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+. The Athlon X2 7000, Phenom, Phenom II and Athlon II series are not supported.]

From Topics:
Archive

Post Stats

• 0 Followers
  • 12 Comments
  • Last Edited on {{'2018-01-07T23:28:39-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Feedback