Discussion {{'2007-07-14T20:21:59-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}

Why is newegg called newegg?

The question is simple: Why is newegg called newegg?Now really I don't think that the founders of Newegg.com have a good answer and if thats the case I say there could very well be a new Eggy comic developed for the new "mythical" origins of Neweggs name. Possibly fan inspired even!I will love to here what people ......

Please log on to comment on this discussion.

21 Comments
Sort by:
Written on {{'2018-07-01T16:54:43-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

@SovetCryptix was closest, but yeah, I recently got hired in June and found out the meaning of the "Newegg" name.

Written on {{'2007-07-16T20:21:29-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
It refers to the New Beginning of the business itself. You'd have to understand Chinese Traditional beliefs for it to really make sense. =S
Written on {{'2007-07-16T20:19:01-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

I have to agree with SovetCryptix  [quote user="SovetCryptix"] ...wiki, it doesn't say anything related to WHY it is named Newegg.[/quote] and I did also find the newegg-case-study before I asked the question and thought it was some what vague as to why a "new beginning" is so important. Yet now I know that the new beginning was the ending of the old EGGHEAD store and the new beginning of the Newegg.com store. That's the connection I draw at least.

Reactor89 

Written on {{'2007-07-16T17:04:04-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that is part of it. That and I know there is significance to eggs in the Chinese culture. So it could be both.

Found this at http://www.startup-review.com/blog/newegg-case-study.php

"In regards to International growth, I think they have a Chinese site at newegg.com.cn and their name comes from a translation from the Chinese name of “New Egg” which can be translated as “New Birth” or “New Beginnings” which is a combination of both the spin-off nature of the company (for those who care, it spun off from www.abspc.com, the company that Howard Tong references) as well as Chinese traditions/practices in naming your company after something positive."

Written on {{'2007-07-16T16:59:21-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[quote user="JakLee"]

Competing against the old EGGHEAD online retailer that went under

they had good support and it would be easy to build on that if they continued to have good support (and we can all agree I believe NE does).

probably a marketing booster rocket that got them off the ground from ABS

:) 

[/quote]

I like this one too.

Written on {{'2007-07-16T16:57:15-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
Yeah, we've already gone over the wiki, it doesn't say anything related to WHY it is named Newegg.
Written on {{'2007-07-16T16:56:39-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="21ToWin"]I like eggs...[/quote]

I like... neweggs ROFLLOLOFOROLRLFORLRLOFRLOL!!!1!!!11!.... yeah... bad joke

Written on {{'2007-07-16T16:54:26-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

I like eggs...

Uh.. did any1 try wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newegg

Written on {{'2007-07-16T16:30:08-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

I searched "why is newegg called newegg?" and didn't come up with anything else...

and I didn't see anything on the wiki post about why it's called newegg... It looks like a chinese guy founded it so it seems like the chinese name thing... would make sense

p.s. what's with your pic? lol

Written on {{'2007-07-16T15:43:45-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[quote user="Reactor89"]

The question is simple: Why is newegg called newegg?

Now really I don't think that the founders of Newegg.com have a good answer and if thats the case I say there could very well be a new Eggy comic developed for the new "mythical" origins of Neweggs name. Possibly fan inspired even!

I will love to here what people think.

Reactor89

[/quote]

i asked this question a while ago, if you search it would bring up the thread.

if ur lazy, click this, and it will answer ur question. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newegg  

From Topics:
Archive

Post Stats

• 0 Followers
  • 21 Comments
  • Last Edited on {{'2018-07-01T16:54:43-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Feedback