Discussion {{'2007-12-08T15:29:09-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}

Gaming/Video Editing PC Build

I'm a newcomer here but it seemed like a good place to get some educated opinions. This PC is built mainly for gaming (Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, Age of Conan, Crysis) and movie editing (Adobe CS3). I've only ordered a few parts, but this is the full list, and was hoping for some feedback. PC Case: BoughtNeon ......

Please log on to comment on this discussion.

13 Comments
Sort by:
Written on {{'2018-06-13T00:21:13-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
If you want to avoid building a computer yourself then this is a good option. Decent parts for a decent overall price. The components inside are about the cheapest possible versions of said components. The SSD is A-Data if that gives you any idea. It goes without saying you can build a better PC and for less money if you choose do it yourself but if you want to avoid the process like we did for my brother, this is a good option. The seller also agreed to switch out the 2TB of 7200rpm for another 240GB of SSD which was cool. Kay and Pee Abogados 
Written on {{'2018-06-13T00:20:37-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
The reason it's 3 stars and not 5 is the VERY deceptive product pictures. The pictures show the case being lit up by red lights including LEDs on the graphics card and a different motherboard. These pictures DO NOT represent the product you will receive. The top fan has a ring of incredibly dim LEDs and these are the ONLY light source in the computer. If the lights are on in your room, the red glow is non-existent. If the room is dark, you can barely see a red glow at the top of the case. Legal services in London
Written on {{'2018-06-12T11:54:13-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
Update: Graphics card failed 2 months after the one year warranty ended. Even though the graphics card itself has a 3 year warranty, seller refuses to send it back for repair or replacement and only they can because they purchased it. I can no longer recommend this PC. You'll pay more for the parts and end up with a weaker warranty than if you just bought the parts yourself and paid Fry's $50 to put the PC together for you. Stevens skip hire Scotland company
Edited on {{'2018-02-28T01:43:01-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Hello, write my essay for me UK, Would this build be good for gaming, recording and editing videos? New to this and a little confusing. 

Written on {{'2007-12-08T17:40:17-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
I was leaning more towards Vista 64 bit, that just reinforces my idea. Thanks for the feedback.
Written on {{'2007-12-08T17:35:28-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[quote user="Tantalus"]

Thanks LOZF, that was really helpful.

So between XP and Vista 64-bit which should I go for? I heard Vista runs slower and isn't always compatible with games, but Im sure there will be plenty of patches/updates to not have to worry about it for too long. 

[/quote]

You will either need XP 64-bit or Vista 64-bit to get all your RAM. Are you interested or will have any use for business? If not, go for XP Home 64-bit or Vista Home Premium 64-bit. If you are having a need for business, go with XP Pro 64-bit or Vista Business 64-bit. If you want the multimedia of Vista Home Premium and the Business of Vista Business in one OS, go with Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Written on {{'2007-12-08T17:22:52-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Thanks LOZF, that was really helpful.

So between XP and Vista 64-bit which should I go for? I heard Vista runs slower and isn't always compatible with games, but Im sure there will be plenty of patches/updates to not have to worry about it for too long. 

Written on {{'2007-12-08T17:12:51-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="Branhower"]I'd do XP. It's not as much of a hog on resources as Vista. You'll only be able to get 3.7Gb of RAM though.
[/quote]

Not true. 32-bit OS can only recognize UP TO 4GB of TOTAL RAM. That includes MEMORY and GRAPHICS MEMORY. So with any 32-bit OS and only one 8800GTS, the computer would only recognize 3360 MB (3.360GB) of the G.SKILL; the same way with two 8800GTS it would only recognize 2720 MB (2.720GB) of the G.SKILL.

With a 64-bit OS, the computer will recognize MORE than 4GB of TOTAL RAM. This should be your preference. 

Written on {{'2007-12-08T17:00:54-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

The 600w should be able to handle your video card.

It's not just the pin type you have to look at, there are different types of speeds for ram DDR 400, DDR2 800, DDR2 1000 and so on.  It's very important to make sure that the speed of the ram and the mobo ram slots match otherwise it won't function properly.  For instance, the motherboard that you have only supports DDR2 800 but you had DDR2 1000 selected.  Since these are two different speeds the would be incompatable with each other.  Also something else to look for in ram is case latency and timing, the lower the better with the timings you also want to make sure you have a slight over head.  This basically means that the middle two numbers equal out to be less than the fourth number.  For instance, the ram that I recommended has a case latency of 4 and the timing is 4-4-4-12 the two fours equal out to 8 giving the ram an overhead of 4.  I hope that helps.

Written on {{'2007-12-08T16:52:43-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
I'd do XP. It's not as much of a hog on resources as Vista. You'll only be able to get 3.7Gb of RAM though.
From Topics:
Archive

Post Stats

• 0 Followers
  • 13 Comments
  • Last Edited on {{'2018-06-13T00:21:14-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Feedback