Discussion {{'2008-08-11T20:13:28-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}

Gmail and MS Outlook 2007

Did you know you can set your gmail to go to desktop program like Outlook Express or 2007? And you have a few options, unlike other free web based email clients.First get a gmail account...so much better than MSN or Yahoo. They offer both POP3 and IMAP which some might be familar with. GMAIL recommends IMAP. I don......

Please log on to comment on this discussion.

13 Comments
Sort by:
Written on {{'2018-08-01T18:42:59-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
Gmail has amazing functionality such as filters, canned responses, advanced search. If you want to register a new account, check this one: Gmail sign up.
Written on {{'2008-08-19T00:38:53-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Firefox + Gmail + CustomizeGoogle = Win

Written on {{'2008-08-18T16:14:26-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[quote user="Tallon41"]

[quote user="aesman"]  If I don't go in and delete them off the server then they start to build up and my storage gets filled and I get a noticed to clean house (so to speak).  I hate that.[/quote]

You're not thinking this through. 

[/quote]

I got what you were saying. I checked the box. Thanks for the Tip.

I was trying to say I hate when I got those messages when I didn't clean out my space on their server...of course gmail gives me like 7GiB so there is no worries there. Yahoo use to hit me with those messages all the time when I was with SBC.

again thanks for the tip

Written on {{'2008-08-18T11:57:51-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="aesman"]  If I don't go in and delete them off the server then they start to build up and my storage gets filled and I get a noticed to clean house (so to speak).  I hate that.[/quote]

You're not thinking this through.  When that checkbox is checked, you must then check one of two additional checkboxes that determine how long they stay.  The first lets you specify a date weeks/days etc when the mail will "expire."  The second is the "deleted Items" checkbox.

Either method would prevent your box from filling as long as you were at the Main PC once a week or so.

Tallon41

Written on {{'2008-08-18T11:39:15-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="peacelover"]I love gmail because of its function of against SPAM~~ I will have a try latter.[/quote]

I like my gmail...but I wonder what would stop google, the ad kings, from setting up some algorithm keyword spyware that goes through our mail each time it goes through their server. Nothing, IMO. I hate the fact that I am contributing to my own advertisement.

at least they can work for it. [:)]

Written on {{'2008-08-18T11:34:34-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Personally, I never check the email clients server so I don't want to leave the original mail in there.

If I don't go in and delete them off the server then they start to build up and my storage gets filled and I get a noticed to clean house (so to speak).  I hate that.

Written on {{'2008-08-18T08:17:23-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
I love gmail because of its function of against SPAM~~ I will have a try latter.
Written on {{'2008-08-18T08:12:14-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="intelguy"]i don't use outlook any more. [/quote]

you did know that OM is just the new name and version of Outlook Express right ?

[quote user="Jedi2155"]My main complaint about pop3 is that when I delete a message, and I go on another machine, I get them all back on my inbox. Its a problem when I receive around 20-50 messages a day so to have to sort them all out it becomes a real pain.

I can see pop3 being useful if you don't like to delete your messages ever but I do to keep it clean and not everything needs to be kept.[/quote]

Then unlike the original poster, you do not want your inbox synchronized, which is fine, you  just need to alter your setup a bit.

in the POP3 account setup, click on the "advanced" tab and check the "leave a copy on the server" box.   Then check the box that says "delete from server when deleted from "deleted items".  When you delete a mail message from the inbox, it will go to the "deleted items" folder.  What the 2nd box does is, as it says, remove the mail message from the mail server when you delete the mail message from the "delete items" folder [outlook calls this "permanently deleting" though often it is not ! LOL]  So, when you go to the various machines, those messages you delete from the in box, and then again from "deleted items" will no longer download into the inbox of the next one you log into.

Personally....I pick one PC to be the 'main' one and set it as normal....i.e. the "leave a copy..." box unchecked.  Every other PC has the box checked.  I start at the main machine each day and read mail move it from the inbox, delete others.  The others will then only download any mail I left in the Inbox, and of course, any new mail that arrives; and any mail deleted on these other clients, will NOT be deleted on the main one until I get there again and delete it there.

Tallon41 

Written on {{'2008-08-18T01:37:32-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

I actually a MS Exchange server (similar to IMAP) for one of my email accounts, pop3 for my ISP account, and IMAP for some other things.

My main complaint about pop3 is that when I delete a message, and I go on another machine, I get them all back on my inbox. Its a problem when I receive around 20-50 messages a day so to have to sort them all out it becomes a real pain.

I can see pop3 being useful if you don't like to delete your messages ever but I do to keep it clean and not everything needs to be kept.

Written on {{'2008-08-17T09:33:26-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
I do like the fact that I can use Thunderbird to get mail from my Gmail and Netscape email accounts.  Yahoo needs to get with it and offer the same capability.  I use POP3 too and know nothing about IMAP.  What can I say?  I'm a creature of habit.
From Topics:
Archive

Post Stats

• 0 Followers
  • 13 Comments
  • Last Edited on {{'2018-08-01T18:42:59-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Feedback