Discussion {{'2010-12-20T17:45:40-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}

Facebook

It's probably a generational thing...but maybe not.What's everybody think of Facebook?  Useful social networking tool?  Easy way to stay in touch with friends?  Time-waster?  Give away too much personal information?  Heaven knows how they safeguard it?Just looking for some brief opinions.&......

Please log on to comment on this discussion.

26 Comments
Sort by:
Written on {{'2019-01-18T00:53:32-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Facebook, Google and the others reflect an attitude that they are so business savvy that rules do not apply to them. Their financial  success exempts them from the accepted norms of moral behavior. It will take a massive legal action to curb this attitude. Hope our government and justice system is up for the battle.

Kelly A. Spaulding

cheap essay writing service

Written on {{'2019-01-17T03:16:13-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
There are always Two sides of technology. Facebook is one of the biggest time-wasters for those who just want to do surfing and Time-pass but For digital Marketers like Me, FB is one way to make money. But the problem with Facebook is the same as Google. They are restricting everything slowly, I mean recently they started banning URL. One of my Kroger Feedback Site URL got Banned, I don't know why and how. But in near future, we can see big changes in FB and the whole world because of FB.
Written on {{'2011-01-30T08:36:05-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Yes, technology changes...but electric lights...electric motors... steam engines... 9 track tape...floppy disks...were not technology? ....I don't think we would have the "technology" of today without them.

The difference seems to be the difference between cocaine and crack....same drug...more addictive.  Today's "media delivery mechanisms" are more available, more immediate, and have more content.  It's easier for people... regardless of generation to become consumed by them.

Is the content any better... I doubt it...just different.   Were there never serial killers, crazy people, assassinations, wars,  or child predators prior to the spread of the Internet.... we'd like to think so...but sadly that's not the case.

Written on {{'2011-01-30T07:28:50-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
I read that as "interactive technology". And I think that's how they meant it. As you correctly point out, almost everything is technology.
Written on {{'2011-01-30T06:28:41-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="MewMint"]Tv isn't technology. It's like visual radio. GenXers may have had computers in the living that used now and then, but it's mostly only the <30 crowd that are totally immersed in electronics. When is someone under 30 not using some sort of personal electronic device? Almost never, and that isn't true of older people.[/quote]

TV isn't technology?  Let me tell you that in 1957 TV was about as high tech as you could get. I also think it fair to say that with a few exceptions, I have watched TV every day of my life since I was 5 and I am not as addicted to it as most boomers are.  That's pretty immersed in a technology that is responsible for changing the way we look at the world. I would argue every bit as social changing as cell phones and the internet.  Each generation has had its technology that changed the world for them from fire and the wheel to radio and TV to smart phones and facebook.  Driving a car is immersed in technology, taking a medication daily is immersed in technology.  Letting that technology define you is what is at question.

Written on {{'2011-01-29T23:41:36-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

[quote user="fabulouscoops"]11% say music and pop culture (you've got to be kidding, music today sucks or there would not be so many 70's stations.) [/quote]Only old people listen to the radio Fabs, lol So of course it has lots of old stuff. 

It's probably hard to order a cell phone out of a shopping catalog too xD

[quote user="fabulouscoops"] A fourth of Millennials say using technnology makes them unique (boomers had TV, Gen X had computers, the point is that everyone uses technology (except maybe the "silent" and "greatest" generations)[/quote]But that's not true. Tv isn't technology. It's like visual radio. GenXers may have had computers in the living that used now and then, but it's mostly only the <30 crowd that are totally immersed in electronics. When is someone under 30 not using some sort of personal electronic device? Almost never, and that isn't true of older people.

Written on {{'2011-01-29T22:20:16-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[quote user="Tallon41"]

Instead of raising kids who chose Right over Wrong......we have several generations now that KNOW Right from Wrong, but only choose Right when they are under scrutiny.  When no one is looking....ALL bets are off baby !!!     They are Self-centered, Lazy, Lousy Mannered, Foul-mouthed, impatient, entitlement crazy young people....who think this world is here to SERVE them; and do it for FREE.[/quote]

While I agree with your assessment, this strikes me as something the older generation has said about the younger generation for as long as there have been generations.

But in this case they may have a point.  Check out this study:

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1501/millennials-new-survey-generational-personality-upbeat-open-new-ideas-technology-bound

A fourth of Millennials say using technnology makes them unique (boomers had TV, Gen X had computers, the point is that everyone uses technology (except maybe the "silent" and "greatest" generations)

11% say music and pop culture (you've got to be kidding, music today sucks or there would not be so many 70's stations.)

5% said clothes.  (Really? Clothes?)

All the other generations cite work ethic, not the millennials.

All the others cite honesty or respectfulness,  not the millennials.

Nearly six-in-ten respondents cited work ethic as one of the big sources of differences between young and old. Asked who has the better work ethic, about three-fourths of respondents said that older people do. By similar margins, survey respondents also found older adults have the upper hand when it comes to moral values and their respect for others.

Written on {{'2011-01-29T20:07:45-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Facebook is one of the best stalking of woman (or anyone) tools ever made.

Respectfully,

PROACEX1

Written on {{'2011-01-29T19:46:49-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
I love Facebook! It's an amazing way to chat with friends and you can make groups to have more specific, non general discussions with whoever you want. It's great because everyone uses it and everyone's on there.
Written on {{'2011-01-29T07:22:48-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

I share your views Tallon.  

I got on Facebook (or "spacebook" as someone at work calls it) to stay in touch with my kids.  I too found a some old friends. Still on there because of my kids, although they are no longer "kids".

I believe there are those young folks who's parents have managed to instill some sense of reality, but there are many who feel the world owes them.  Unfortunately many parents feel that way too...so the kids have no chance.

Oh, tell your BIL to get a gmail account and check out Picassa.  That has really been nice.

Thanks for sharing...

PH

From Topics:
Archive

Post Stats

• 0 Followers
  • 26 Comments
  • Last Edited on {{'2019-01-18T00:53:32-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Feedback