Discussion {{'2011-02-28T15:15:25-08:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}

Is it possible to convert Ethernet to USB?

I've seen many devices that plug into USB ports and change that USB port into an Ethernet jack, essentially making it a USB to Ethernet converter. I want to do the opposite, but can't find a device to do so. You see, my satellite TV box has a USB port, but apparently doesn't use it for wireless connections, a fact......

Please log on to comment on this discussion.

25 Comments
Sort by:
Written on {{'2018-03-22T02:00:47-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
Go into the digit survey code there which is located in the middle of your invoice. TellDunkin Survey You can access it at you will obtain the instant TellDunkin rewards.
Written on {{'2011-07-15T08:07:55-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Solid Router.   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162031&cm_re=buffalo_wireless_router-_-33-162-031-_-Product

I have it and I'm loving it.   Meets all you criteria, except the antennas.

Written on {{'2011-07-14T20:18:31-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Well I think is imposible, just people that do crazy mods can add a USB port to a WRT54 router and is so much and delicate work to do it that its not for me. and mby working adapters are more expensive than the router itself. I have a WRT65GS v1.1 with DD-WRT firmware, and haigh gain 7dBi Antenas and even the cable and base to move the antenas away from the router, well I invested so much in that router and I realize I cant do anything more for it. Its time to buy a N router with a USB port and get the WRT54GS just for extender, experiment, play or whatever. I havent see any N router that I like, all with integrated antenas so I cant put better ones on it, and way expensive if I want a gigabit ethernet.

Can someone recomend a 802.11n Router, that I can put DD-WRT on it that also have USB port to use for storage, gigabit ports and also add better antenas o that ahve at least much native dBi???

Written on {{'2011-07-14T19:46:10-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

+1 with sccpu3d, better go with ethernet, I have one little baby like this one and I like it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108063

off  topic to CheapAsian; actually I use it as  ISCSI storage for my Hyper-V fail over cluster ( I know it's a cheap solution, but it's a lab for learn about failover clustering, no production here) let's not talk about it more it will c**p the tread  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Written on {{'2011-07-14T13:08:46-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
[quote user="Ale"]

Hi guys,

I really want to know if I can use some sort of adapter to connect into my WRT54GS router with DD-WRT firmware ethernet port and have an usb port?. Why? I will like to have an USB port on my router so I can attach storage devices to it and make some sort of NAS.

Is that posible?

[/quote]

You mean something like this? From those reviews though I wouldn't get something like that. Looks like there are serious limitations(write speeds, FAT32 support only). I'd rather just get a new drive or a hard drive enclosure that supports Ethernet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232029

Written on {{'2011-07-14T10:35:12-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Hi guys,

I really want to know if I can use some sort of adapter to connect into my WRT54GS router with DD-WRT firmware ethernet port and have an usb port?. Why? I will like to have an USB port on my router so I can attach storage devices to it and make some sort of NAS.

Is that posible?

Written on {{'2011-05-27T10:57:11-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Hi again CAGG.  Man I am so totally fried right now. You were right that the Rosewill Express Card seemed like the best bet, so I got it sent here overnight, followed the directions, it said it was ready to use after I plugged it in, and.... same thing!  All I hear when I plug in the USB wireless adaptor are those three low beeps meaning it is not connecting, instead of the single low and single high beep, meaning it has properly connected. 

I am typing on this 7 year old Panasonic and it recognizes the usb wireless adaptor perfectly (or else I would not be able to send this), using the same two pcmcia cards that the Sony will not work with (this old laptop is not new enough to have the express card slot so i cant try that, but it would probably work too).

Actually the Sony does recognize the *cards*, all three of them, with the low then high beep when i plug them in. But when I plug in the usb wireless adaptor into the usb ports of any of the three cards, i get those damned three low tones which means it is not going to work. Again it is not the fault of the usb wireless adaptor because it works perfectly in this old laptop, and it worked fine in the regular USB ports of the Sony before the pins broke.

Have they disbled something so that USB won't work in any other ports so you have to buy a new $1000 motherboard? I can't believe I am going to have to buy a new laptop just because i cannot get any USB ports happening.

Again, I did see a forum saying the the pcmcia-usb cards would not work right with the Sony (whereas they work with so many other computers), but the express card won't work either?

CAGG if you have any other ideas, or anyone, please, again please, let me know.

Frustrated out of mind,

Jason 

Written on {{'2011-05-25T16:58:37-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Sure is.

Thanks again, you the man.

...J

Written on {{'2011-05-25T16:55:38-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer
Looks good, and the wireless adapter is a value-add.
Written on {{'2011-05-25T16:53:57-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Selected Answer

Thank you CAGG...Infnitely.

So just to confirm, does this seem to be what I am looking for? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839200013&cm_re=expresscard%2f34-_-39-200-013-_-Product

It is amazing that Rosewill is including a free adaptor, because that is the exact adaptor that I was using (I'm assuming by that that they are including their wireless adaptor).

Thanks so much again,.

Jason

From Topics:
Archive

Post Stats

• 0 Followers
  • 25 Comments
  • Last Edited on {{'2018-03-22T02:00:47-07:00' | moment:'fromNow'}}
Feedback