Computer Hardware

Computer Hardware
All discussions relating to computer hardware

trying to build a computer and need assistance

This question is answered

I'm looking at building a computer since it's just as cheap to do that as it is to buy one and it will be better.

I need to make sure all parts are compatible.

Motherboard 

BIOSTAR TA970 Ver. 5.3 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU

AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8 GHz 

Power supply

Corsair CX500

Ram

DDR3 10600

Will all this work together?

I haven't built one in a while and just want to double check. 

Thanks for the help.

Rate this post:
Verified Answer
  • At the macro level, it all looks like it should work together.  AM3+ socket CPU with an AM3+ socket MB using DDR3 RAM and DDR3 RAM.

DDR3 10600 ram is like saying a 400w PSU - it tells you something, but not necessarily enough to know every gotcha.

www.biostar.com.tw/.../introduction.php  <--- a list of the supported RAM modules for the motherboard.  If the one you're getting is on the list, then I would imagine there's a high probability it will work together.

Rate this post:
All Replies
  • What is your budget?  What is it being used for?  I have some concerns, but it may also be a price-point decision.

Also, there's no graphics card.  The 4300 does not have integrated graphics, so do already have a graphics card?  

The CPU does come with a heatsink and fan, so that part is covered.

Do you have a case already?  No OS is listed - are you running a freeware version of Linux or plan on purchasing an Windows 10 license, or something else?  Since you have no optical drive, you'll need to get a USB install of the OS if Windows unless you are cannabalizing a different machine, which should be fine for an optical drive.

But in general, the CPU is a socket AM3+ and the motherboard supports AM3+.

You don't list specific RAM to verify, but the motherboard does support DDR3 1066 (which is what I think you meant?) so there is a high likelihood it will be compatible (but can't say for sure).

Rate this post:
  • On the ram, I did. DDR3 PC3 10600 1333 (buffered), just didn't put it all down. I have the graphics card (pcie 2.0), but I know it will work together with this.

I have a case, plan to use Windows 7, have DVD drive, and as you can tell, I have a power supply as well as all cables needed.

Yes, I'm on a tight budget. But have to have a computer. Don't play a lot of games, so I should be ok with the graphics card I'm getting. EVGA Corporation GEFORCE 8400 GS PCIE 2.0 1024MBDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI

If there's anything else you need, please ask. I haven't put one together in quite a while and am a little out of practice.

Rate this post:
  • At the macro level, it all looks like it should work together.  AM3+ socket CPU with an AM3+ socket MB using DDR3 RAM and DDR3 RAM.

DDR3 10600 ram is like saying a 400w PSU - it tells you something, but not necessarily enough to know every gotcha.

www.biostar.com.tw/.../introduction.php  <--- a list of the supported RAM modules for the motherboard.  If the one you're getting is on the list, then I would imagine there's a high probability it will work together.

Rate this post:
  • Thanks everyone. You have been a huge help. Thanks for helping me.

Rate this post: